The Homes at Fort Lawton are truly a piece of living history. When the US Army set out to create a thriving fort, the site on Magnolia Bluff was a highly sought-after and strategic location. At the time, the land that we now know as Fort Lawton and Discovery Park was owned by some of the city’s most preeminent politicians, socialites, and citizens.
With the city abuzz with the prospect of a booming economy and looming fame from a successful US Army fort, many of the renowned denizens of Magnolia Bluff graciously donate their lands to the cause. For instance, notable Seattleites Christian Scheuerman, a Magnolia homesteader, and Thomas Prosch, of the wealthy Seattle Prosch family, donated acres of their private lands to the Fort Lawton endeavor.
Despite never having actually lived there himself, General Henry W. Lawton, the fort’s namesake, is the fittingly named floorplan for the General’s House on Officer’s Row. Equally fitting is the floorplan’s name of 4415 Montana Circle, the original hospital steward’s home. Henry Kierstedt transferred from the Presidio to Fort Lawton in 1900 and continued his service as the assistant surgeon to the fort.
Today, we honor and pay homage to their legacy, as well as all of those on the original land deed, by way of the floorplan names of the newly renovated homes:
· Anne Ellicott
· Thomas Prosch
· Mary Jenott
· Christian Scheurman
In this manner, living at the Homes at Fort Lawton truly puts you in the middle of a living part of history.